SMART STUFF FROM Kathy Sdao
SMART X50 - xcerpted from Plenty in Life is Free:
“…Capitalize on the numerous desirable behaviors an animal performs over the course of an average day by:
1. noticing them
2. pointing them out to the animal (“mark” with a click or “yes”)
3. then giving the animal a reward in order to increase the strength of those behaviors”
Practically speaking, SMART x 50 is a simple way to get started on noticing the behaviors your dog already does that you’d like to see more of.
Kathy says, “We could envision that a significant portion of the good behaviors we want to develop are already in our dogs. By saying ‘yes’ to these, over and over, we encourage our dogs’ cooperative, calm, controlled actions. Our frequent, precisely timed, meaningful reinforcements — our ‘yeses,’ each followed by an event the dogs considers rewarding — will etch desirable behavioral grooves into our dogs’ repertoires.”
How to Do SMART x 50
* Count out 50 small, healthy treats each day
* Set them out on the counter in a bag or container for easy access and a good visual reminder
* When see your dog doing something cute or useful, mark the behavior (with clicker or just use a word like “Yes” or “Yep;” the precision of the clicker isn’t necessary)
* Give your dog a treat
* Use up 50 treats per day
The beauty of SMART x 50 is that you can do it anyway you want. Just do it! You can choose one or two particular behaviors over the course of a week and see for yourself that your dog ends up doing MORE of those specific behaviors or you can look more generally for various behaviors you like.
TRY IT OUT AND LE ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT